January 27, 2009

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?


I never will forget being asked this question during my first interview after college. At the time my answer to the potential boss was "Not here." Can you believe I said that? Can you believe they still hired me?

It is now 4 years later and I have changed employers twice since then. Just as I knew my career would eventually change, I also know my financial situation in 5 years will be very different than where it is today.

I would like to humor myself for a few minutes and tell you exactly where I see myself financially 5 years from now:

1.) No credit card debt, in fact I have not put anything on credit in over 5 years:) Although I do have a Discover Card hidden in my sock drawer in case of extreme, and I do mean extreme, emergency.

2.) Traded in my 2005 Honda Civic and paid cash for a new to me car.

3.) Established a cash emergency fund consisting of $5,000. This is enough to cover my basic monthly living expenses for at least 3 months if I should lose my job or have to cover a major expense, i.e. new roof, new furnace.

4.) Invest 15% to retirement every month. I plan on retiring earlier than average 25 years from now.

5.) Make double-payments on my mortgage every month and hope to have it paid off in the next 5-7 years. It is the only debt I currently have.

6.) During the early stages of my debt elimination I made the decision to temporarily suspend vacationing for 12-18 months. Since I have paid off all non-mortgage debt, I have made it a point to take a vacation every year to a city or country I have never visited.

7.) I GIVE like it's no body's business. Every month I am able to give 10% of my earnings to local charities and organizations within my community. This has been and will continue to be the most rewarding part of shaping my financial future.

Thanks for letting me tell you what I see in my crystal ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment