March 8, 2009

Confessional: I planned a summer vacation

The further I get into my debt elimination journey, the easier it becomes to justify straying from the path. Becoming debt-free truly is a discipline.

In an earlier post I vowed to postpone vacationing for 12-18 months until the bulk of my debt is gone. But then I went and planned a summer vacation for July 2009. I have the opportunity to go on a short trip to Florida for a wedding this summer. The trip will probably cost $400-$500 when it's all said and done. I justified this decision by telling myself I will simply work extra hours at my part time job which will allow me to stick to my original debt-repayment schedule. After crunching the numbers I've determined I will have to work an extra 2.5 hours per week at my part time job to make up for the trip.

The bottom line is, I need to allow myself some flexibility (within reason). Am I the only debt eliminator who tells themselves it is better to stay at home on a Friday night and list items on Ebay than it would be to go out for dinner with friends? Probably not, surely we all deal with this internal struggle on a weekly and daily basis. But that is by no means any way to live.

I know I will continue to struggle with finding a balance and making decisions between snowflaking money or allowing myself a little nicety as a reward for my progress every once in a while. This part will definitely take time and will evolve as my journey continues. Making exceptions to my budget, of course, will not turn into a trend.

I can enjoy life and eliminate debt, I can and I will! Ahh, I feel better already. It's amazing how putting something down in writing really helps sort through it.

What are some of the financial exceptions you've made in your journey towards debt elimination?

No comments:

Post a Comment